Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We in the School of Education and Human Sciences believe that diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) are vital to our success – specifically, our teaching, advising, mentoring, research, and service functions. As members of a university and the larger community, we value diverse viewpoints and knowledge, which requires a respectful, inclusive, and caring culture. We recognize that growing numbers of our community represent minoritized populations whose voices and perspective enrich our community. We assert that all faculty, staff and students must be treated with respect, feel safe in their classes, offices and other workspaces, and be supported in carrying out their studies and work.
Goals & Commitments
Diversity in curriculum, research & service
Commit to support research on issues related to DEI, and to train students to work with, teach, and serve individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
A diverse campus community
Reflect the society that it serves, and thus we are committed to fostering diversity among students and faculty. Programs reflect our goal to promote a diverse community.
A positive & diverse campus climate
Create a climate that respects and celebrates differences in background and life experiences, including differences in ability, age, ethnic and racial heritage, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic background.
Outreach & community engagement
Provide a wide range of professional services to schools and other institutions. Programs promote educational opportunity for diverse youth.
Commit to collective input, participation, and expertise from all members of our School of Education and Human Sciences community.
Allow for opportunities to create goals, evaluate progress, be open to conversations about implicit bias, and to transform practices that foster inclusion and reflection. Commit to activities that forward the equity of all persons.
Partners in DEI
Beach Center on Disability
Center for Educational Opportunity Programs
Multicultural Scholars Program
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in Research
- Majority Educators in a United States Minority/Immigrant Public School District: The Case of Garden City, Kansas
- Academic Motherhood: Managing Complex Roles in Research Universities
- Suburban Advantage: Opportunity Hoarding and Secondary Attainment in the Postwar Metropolitan North
- ACES: The Development of a Reliable and Valid Instrument to Assess Faculty Support of Diversity Goals in the United States
- Witnesses to History: Children's Views of Race and the 2008 United States Presidential Election
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Awards
The School of Education and Human Sciences administers this annual award for current faculty who has contributed to teaching and/or scholarship and/or service with a focus on intersectional diversity.
- For teaching: Development and implementation of effective strategies for teaching that advance understanding of intersectionality in DEI in the field of instruction and/or for advancing the education of students from underrepresented groups in the field of instruction and to include activities such as classroom instruction; direction of independent study, theses and dissertations; and mentoring;
- For research/scholarship: Knowledge that advances understanding of intersectionality in DEI in the field of study and/or has the potential to improve the quality of life among underrepresented groups in the field of study; and/or
- For service: Activities that promote the professional and/or academic advancement of underrepresented groups in the applicant's field of study; contributions to diversity and equitable opportunity in the university through activities such as recruitment and mentoring of faculty and students; activities that promote the well-being of underrepresented communities in the applicant’s field of study.