Mission & Vision
Within the University, the School of Education and Human Sciences serves Kansas, the nation and the world by
- preparing individuals to be leaders and practitioners in education and related human science fields
- expanding and deepening understanding of education as a fundamental human endeavor
- helping society define and respond to its educational responsibilities and challenges
To accomplish this mission, the School of Education and Human Sciences
- offers an extensive curriculum leading to academic degrees and professional licensure
- requires faculty and students to engage in scholarship
- provides a wide range of professional services to schools, other institutions, and individuals
At both the initial and the advanced levels, we believe that teaching is an honorable, dynamic, and vitally important profession.
Preparing children and youth for life in a society that is distinguished by constant change, increased diversity, and difficult challenges requires educators who can serve as leaders in their profession - individuals who will be role models in their schools and communities.
With regard to our initial and advanced teacher licensure programs, professional and state standards provide the structure for the knowledge and competencies that we expect candidates to demonstrate. Although the standards for each program organize the professional knowledge base into slightly different strands or domains, common themes emerge.